Thursday, October 04, 2007

Oh Goody, Another Bookish Meme

Bored at work? Must be time for another time-wasting Q&A!

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?
Paperback. I always travel with reading material, and hardcovers are too bulky and heavy to stash in my purse.

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it . . .
This is actually a really relevant question, since I continually fantasize about retiring to open a little mystery/fantasy bookstore in a pretty tourist town somewhere. Currently, I'm leaning toward Mysterious Intent.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is . . .
"Fate just keeps on happening." Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos

4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be . . .
This is a real toughie. I'm going to have to go with Shakespeare. I mean, what a conversationalist he must have been! Not to mention he knew Queen Elizabeth I personally.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be . . .
Hands-down, has to be Ulysses. It's a book that takes concentration, so the lack of distractions will be helpful, and you see more in it every time, so repeated rereadings won't drive me crazy. Can I sneak a few lit-crit articles into my carry-on bag?

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that . . .
Would scan my book to find the quote I always think I'll remember but can't quite recall verbatim.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of . . .
My mom and her garage full of old mysteries.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be . . .
I was going to say Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, but the truth is I'd really rather be Stephanie Plum (One for the Money and so on). Sure, she gets shot at a lot and her cars blow up rather more frequently than one might wish, but she's got a loving family and good friends, gets to eat a lot of donuts and lasagne without gaining weight, and has two seriously smokin' hot men on a string.

9. The most overestimated book of all times is . . .
Anna Karenina. If it had been written by a woman, they would slap a pink cover on it and sell it in the mass market paperback Romance section.

10. I hate it when a book . . .
Trails off inconclusively because the author has no real idea of how to end it.

Thanks to doppelganger for the tag.

No comments: